Seattle Department of Neighborhoods and Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle
May 9 - June 13 2023
PACE is an Academy programme that the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods has developed to help citizens to have better relationships with local government representatives that can help them advance their community goals and learn how to better serve their community through civic engagement.
With a vision of equity for all, the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle empowers those we serve by providing programming and services designed to support and encourage self-sufficiency in all aspects of life. Their five areas of focus are advocacy & civic engagement, education, housing, public health and workforce development.
The People's Academy for Community Engagement (PACE) supports citizens who want to apply to be a part of a class of 25-30 community members who are invested in their communities and want to learn more about local government.
They partner with community-based organizations to co-host PACE sessions. Partner organizations support are expected to assist with participant recruitment, provide suggestions for relevant community guest speakers, and provide staff to attend and co-facilitate sessions. Additionally, if participant stipends are provided, partner organizations will be responsible for dispersing these.
The PACE graduates will join a growing network of civic leaders from diverse backgrounds who are working in their communities to affect change.
PACE aims to train and support you in three main ways:
- Build connections with other community activists and leaders
- Share resources and events within the cohort
- Meet and build relationships with City elected officials and staff
- The City of Seattle's organizational structure
- The City of Seattle's budget process
- How the Council and Mayor work together
- How to speak at Council hearings
- Racism in Seattle's history and how it shapes current policies
- Intersections of land use, colonization, and equitable development
- How to effectively navigate a bureaucracy
- Skills for Relationship Building
- Practice community organizing strategies
- Learn how to build relationships with local media
- Practice strategies for skillful engagement in conflict
+ PACE quick Tips on Civic Organizing.